Welcome Guest Login or Signup
CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

Go Back   YCS > YCS Community > General

General For general discussions

Old 09-11-2009, 11:07 AM

TheLionandTheLamb is infamous around these parts
Default I Can't Find God

I keep saying i know God and that he loves me but the truth is i can't find him. I have a panic disorder and anxiety attacks and when i feel all alone and like my world is crumbling beneath my feet i pray that God will change me back to the person i was before i let fear take over my life...but no matter how many times i pray or how many people i meet that say God loves me i still can't find him in my life. I need God in my life...I want what every other christian has a firm belief and a smile on their face. I want that more than anything and yet i can't find it.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

PastorJerry is on a distinguished road

Who do you think God is?

What is your perception of God? In other words who do you think God is? Does what you think line up with who God says He is? Where did you get your information?

"Our ability to receive from the Lord is directly related to our perception of Who He is." -James Maloney

I encourage you to read chapters 38-42 of the book of Job in the Message Bible, excerpts of which I have included here. The Lord is talking to Job: "Why do you confuse the issue? Why do you talk without knowing what you are talking about? Pull yourself together, Job! Up on your feet! Stand tall! I have some questions for you, and I want some straight answers.

"Where were you when I created the earth? Tell me, since you know so much! Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that! Who came up with the blueprints and measurements? How was its foundation poured, and who set the cornerstone, while the morning stars sang in chorus and all the angels shouted praise? And who took charge of the ocean when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb? That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds, and tucked it in safely at night. Then I made a playpen for it, a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose, and said, 'Stay here, this is your place. Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.'

"And have you ever ordered Morning, 'Get up!' told Dawn, 'Get to work!'...and who do you think is the father of rain and dew, the mother of ice and frost? You don't for a minute imagine these marvels of weather just happen, do you?...

"Can you catch the eye of the beautiful Pleiades sisters, or distract Orion from his hunt? Can you get Venus to look your way, or get the Great Bear and her cubs to come out and play? Do you know the first thing about the sky's constellations and how they affect things on Earth?...

Are you the one who gave the horse his prowess and adorned him with a shimmering mane?...Was it through your know-how that the hawk learned to fly, soaring effortlessly on thermal updrafts? Did you command the eagle's flight, and teach her to build her nest in the heights, perfectly at home on the high cliff face, invulnerable on the pinnacle and crag?...

"Now what do you have to say for yourself? Are you going to haul me, the Mighty One, into court and press charges?...Do you presume to tell me what I'm doing wrong? Are you calling me a sinner so you can be a saint? Do you have an arm like my arm? Can you shout in thunder the way I can? Go ahead, show your stuff. Let's see what you're made of, what you can do. Unleash your outrage. Target the arrogant and lay them flat. Target the arrogant and bring them to their knees. Stop the wicked in their tracks — make mincemeat of them!...I'll gladly step aside and hand things over to you — you can surely save yourself with no help from me!...

"Or can you pull in the sea beast, Leviathan, with a fly rod and stuff him in your creel? Can you lasso him with a rope, or snag him with an anchor?...What hope would you have with such a creature? Why, one look at him would do you in! If you can't hold your own against his glowering visage, how, then, do you expect to stand up to me? Who could confront me and get by with it? I'm in charge of all this — I run this universe!"

That last statement is the one that sticks the most in the craw of the arrogant and unbelieving. We tend to read it filtered through our own attitude as if that is the way God would or does feel as well. It is difficult for me to read that passage above without making it sound scornful or arrogant in my own mind. Yet, according to the Bible, God is incapable of being either of those things. How easy it is to think that God feels, thinks, acts, and speaks through the same filters that we do. Thus the need to ask the Lord to help us discern our own thoughts, to see inside ourselves as He sees us. The truth won't be a pretty picture. But, praise God, if we repent of and confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9), thus paving the way for greater intimacy with Him.

What is your perception of God? In other words who do you think God is? Does what you think line up with who God says He is? Where did you get your information?

"Our ability to receive from the Lord is directly related to our perception of Who He is." -James Maloney

I encourage you to read chapters 38-42 of the book of Job in the Message Bible, excerpts of which I have included here. The Lord is talking to Job: "Why do you confuse the issue? Why do you talk without knowing what you are talking about? Pull yourself together, Job! Up on your feet! Stand tall! I have some questions for you, and I want some straight answers.

"Where were you when I created the earth? Tell me, since you know so much! Who decided on its size? Certainly you'll know that! Who came up with the blueprints and measurements? How was its foundation poured, and who set the cornerstone, while the morning stars sang in chorus and all the angels shouted praise? And who took charge of the ocean when it gushed forth like a baby from the womb? That was me! I wrapped it in soft clouds, and tucked it in safely at night. Then I made a playpen for it, a strong playpen so it couldn't run loose, and said, 'Stay here, this is your place. Your wild tantrums are confined to this place.'

"And have you ever ordered Morning, 'Get up!' told Dawn, 'Get to work!'...and who do you think is the father of rain and dew, the mother of ice and frost? You don't for a minute imagine these marvels of weather just happen, do you?...

"Can you catch the eye of the beautiful Pleiades sisters, or distract Orion from his hunt? Can you get Venus to look your way, or get the Great Bear and her cubs to come out and play? Do you know the first thing about the sky's constellations and how they affect things on Earth?...

Are you the one who gave the horse his prowess and adorned him with a shimmering mane?...Was it through your know-how that the hawk learned to fly, soaring effortlessly on thermal updrafts? Did you command the eagle's flight, and teach her to build her nest in the heights, perfectly at home on the high cliff face, invulnerable on the pinnacle and crag?...

"Now what do you have to say for yourself? Are you going to haul me, the Mighty One, into court and press charges?...Do you presume to tell me what I'm doing wrong? Are you calling me a sinner so you can be a saint? Do you have an arm like my arm? Can you shout in thunder the way I can? Go ahead, show your stuff. Let's see what you're made of, what you can do. Unleash your outrage. Target the arrogant and lay them flat. Target the arrogant and bring them to their knees. Stop the wicked in their tracks — make mincemeat of them!...I'll gladly step aside and hand things over to you — you can surely save yourself with no help from me!...

"Or can you pull in the sea beast, Leviathan, with a fly rod and stuff him in your creel? Can you lasso him with a rope, or snag him with an anchor?...What hope would you have with such a creature? Why, one look at him would do you in! If you can't hold your own against his glowering visage, how, then, do you expect to stand up to me? Who could confront me and get by with it? I'm in charge of all this — I run this universe!"

That last statement is the one that sticks the most in the craw of the arrogant and unbelieving. We tend to read it filtered through our own attitude as if that is the way God would or does feel as well. It is difficult for me to read that passage above without making it sound scornful or arrogant in my own mind. Yet, according to the Bible, God is incapable of being either of those things. How easy it is to think that God feels, thinks, acts, and speaks through the same filters that we do. Thus the need to ask the Lord to help us discern our own thoughts, to see inside ourselves as He sees us. The truth won't be a pretty picture. But, praise God, if we repent of and confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (I John 1:9), thus paving the way for greater intimacy with Him.

Pastor Susan Leslie
Senior Pastor LightHouse Fellowship Ministries

Hi, I'm Jerry

He has already found you, you are just choosing to except a lie. I too went through Panic attacks before they knew what they were. I went to the Hospital three times, each one they thought, as did I, that I was having a heart attack.
They came with no warning, and after they passed, I was drained for hours. During them I was convinced that I was separated from God and on my way to hell, despite the fact that I was a born again, Spirit -filled Christian, and had been one for years.
I bought into the lie for a long time, went to Doctor after Doctor, until in frustration one day I called out to the Lord. I ask where He was, and how I was to deal with this issue, He gave me a very simple answer. He said first I've been here all the time, and second read 2 Tim. 1:7, out loud when this attacks you again.
I was stunned, that was much to simple, and easy to work, I put in on the back Burner of my mind.
The next attack was one of the worst I'd ever had, it put me on the floor in a fetal position. Daddy permitted me to remember the word the Lord had give me, and I shouted it out over me, and I must have believed it, because it stopped at once.
For over a year after that I used this simple word when ever the enemy brought these attacks, each time it worked, and after a while and some study in the Word on the spirit of fear it was completely broken.
The Lord is your answer, and He is with you, or you wouldn't be here. You can choose to believe that and break this cycle or you can continue to permit the enemy to run your life.
Your Humble Servant!
Jerry
Rom 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

Rom 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

Rom 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Last edited by PastorJerry; 09-11-2009 at 01:25 PM..
Old 09-11-2009, 05:55 PM

Usher is infamous around these parts

Lion and Lamb.

For immediate and lasting remedy of your condition, I suggest the following:

1. Find in a bookstore or online the book 'Through the Bible in One Year' by Tyndale Publishing and start a daily Bible reading habit.
2. Wake up early and pray daily. [What to pray: Thank God for the breath in your lungs; the strength to rise up and dress; the ability to take care of yourself; thank Him for the Bible (His Word) that you are reading daily; thanks for the house; the food for breakfast; the job you go to; the car you drive; and continue this thanksgiving through the day.
3. Find someone to give you a Bible Study.
4. Tell at least one person daily what God has done for you today.

The way to see God working in your life is to stop using words such as "luck", "coincidence", "chance", etc.. All things are from God

5. Think on good things...
Phl 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.
9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

6. Thank God at night before you go to sleep for all that he has done for you this day.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:22 PM
billevans1

I have one more thing command those panic attacks out of your life in the name of Jesus Say It loud speak right to it bind it in the name of Jesus.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Wings

You also need to get rid of all types of harry potter books, stop playing unchristian songs or esp. those that have loose talk. If you have never Asked Jesus to come into your life do it right now. Ask God to fill you with his holy Ghost to give you power to stay in tune with Him. All Christians go through very trying times. You need to sing songs to Jesus all day long. That is when you are not busy with school work etc. I have been through the same thing. And eventually it passed. Let the Bible be more important to learn than your college studies. Put God first in everything in your life and He will put you first in his. Pray'n for ya brother hang on.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks you guys...I really appreciate everything. Through these past few years with my panic attacks i have begun to turn to God. I feel so worthless sometimes and less than everyone else with this fear in my life and knowing that God is looking out for me really helps some nights. I hate and am ashamed of these panic attacks but it has made me want to become a christian and live for God.

I just have a really tough time seeing the good in life sometimes...I pray that one day i'll be able to see the happiness of this world again.

I really appreciate the prayers Wings...thank you very much.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 PM

JBoulet is infamous around these parts

I come from a background of a lot of abuse and hate. I used to also hate God for all that I went through and held a deep grudge against Him and against humanity. "Why me?" I used to always say. "What did I do? I never asked to be born!" One day shortly after I gave my life to Christ I went to a Christian book store with my mother. And I was very angry with God because I was Mr. Righteous and could just live God's word better then anyone who ever lived and God wasn't doing what I want. Plus the stuff in my past so I felt God really owed me something for all that I had suffered. Well, asked the clerk behind the counter if he had any books that dealt with physical and mental abuse. Come to find out the clerk was also abused when he was a child and gave me some words of encouragement and we both walked over to the a small section that was for this very subject. In that small section I found a book that changed my life and I recommend that very book to you good sir. It is called "Healing for Damaged Emotions" by David A. Seamands. A link to it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Damage...2734741&sr=8-1

Good sir, It is not very expensive and you can find it at just about any Christian Book store if you do not wish to order it online. But I suggest and recommend this book to you, it is not a very big one, maybe 150 pages, but profound and powerful. Please give it a read.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:56 AM

Gods_Chosen_wun is infamous around these parts

I know the feeling all to well. Panic used to plague me as well but the Bible says "God has not given us a spirit of fear but [instead] of power love and a sound mind" So then if this fear does not come from God it is a lie. The only thing that can combat the false mental statements that create an atmosphere of fear are statements of truth that bring about confidence. I found that when I truly study and research the word of God which is full of positive truth and I really believe in it...the things I learn completely eradicate my fear. It's like this...how can I feel worthless and unloved if I truly believe what the bible says about a God who is infatuated with me so much so that He gave His life for me and His love is not based on anything at all? How can I fear circumstances when I know my life is controlled by the same God who loves me and has complete power and authority over all things. Hope this helps
Old 09-12-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks Gods_Chosen_Wun....That really helps! It really made me think about why i let things get to me so much when God controls it all and i know he knows what best for me. Its just hard for me to have faith because usually all the things i put belief in always lets me down. I know i'll get there though.

This actually is really nice having people to talk about this with...Non of my friend are christians so i never get any support with my beliefs.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:14 PM

NeedJesus4ever is infamous around these parts

Thanks for the post sharing your trials, man can I relate. I'm 47 years old and since I was 11, I've tried fasting, meditation, hypnosis, drugs, (legal and otherwise), various religions and cults. Mainly to find freedom from what you mention above. God Is Good!
I still carry this cross. (Not to discourage you. kinda makes ya want to crawl out of your skin when it's on ya, eh? I've been fallowing Yahshua since the mid 90's. Over time, events experiences I had stepping out in faith have given me concrete personal memories that help me hold on when all seems lost.
The Greek Orthodox “Prayer of the Heart”, (which can be found in the Philokalia ),
helped me enormously early on. Mainly to override the negative head traffic and keep my mind on Jesus during these all-consuming-attacks. As you know how it is, ya gotta be competent in your work, studies, social interactions etc. This practice was designed to be used while living daily life. Don't feel ashamed either.
Keep a journal. It helps when in the valley.
In the the health food store you can find 5-HTP a precursor to the Amino acid Tryptophan, It can help with the Anxiety. Check it out on the net. Talk to competent Naturopaths etc.
I’m going thru it again HARDCORE, lets remember to lift each other up in prayer, it helps.

P.S. In my opinion a grave error that is to be found in the Philokakia is that those monks who, in their isolation, practiced this technique to a point that stopped their head traffic all together. Because of the fruit of being free and in a state of hyper-awareness in this profound peace, came to say that this was true salvation. An understandable error, but still an unbiblical grave error.

Last edited by NeedJesus4ever; 09-12-2009 at 02:53 PM..