Welcome Guest Login or Signup
CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

Go Back   YCS > YCS Community > General

General For general discussions

Old 07-15-2011, 11:45 PM

cyndi4him is infamous around these parts
Default Sharing Christ on the Job

I was listening to the radio on my way home from work and heard a pastor say that we should not share our faith on the job He says "That's not what your employer in paying you for". He made it sound like we are not being good employees and basically aren't upholding our duties. In a Christian establishment of course that is okay.

My opinion is if the spirit leads you must obey, if God opens a door you better obey him. As believers God's will has to come first. I get what this pastor is saying but I don't agree and am a little bewildered at the statement. Where should our loyalty be?

What is your opinion?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:05 AM
BobbyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi4him View Post
I was listening to the radio on my way home from work and heard a pastor say that we should not share our faith on the job He says "That's not what your employer in paying you for". He made it sound like we are not being good employees and basically aren't upholding our duties. In a Christian establishment of course that is okay.

My opinion is if the spirit leads you must obey, if God opens a door you better obey him. As believers God's will has to come first. I get what this pastor is saying but I don't agree and am a little bewildered at the statement. Where should our loyalty be?

What is your opinion?
In my opinion You are right on. That is if one knows for sure that it is the Spirit of the Lord. One job I had for three and half years I probably spent a third of my time lifting up the Lord to the people in the bussness. I did at times though find myself following the wrong spirit.
The particular job I was on God got me hired at a place that was not going to hire . I had been homeless and without a steady income for over three years. God caused the unhiring boss to hire me on my birthday. How could I not lift up the Lord.
By the way I worked there just over three years. God has for some reason worked threes to three and a halfs in my life.

Last edited by BobbyJ; 07-16-2011 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: left something out
Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 AM
jarsnj

I pledge allegiance to the Lamb. If the Spirit moves me and God opens the door for me to share the word of God at work, I follow God first and share the word. If you are a christian your loyalty is to God and God alone.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:50 AM

DDSkreamer is infamous around these parts

As long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to do your job, there's nothing wrong with it. It all depends on your actual job description and place of employment.

I used to work at Big Lots as a assitant manager. There was one individual who would constantly say "Praise God" or "Praise Jesus" pretty randomly. He would often attempt to influence others in the break room and received several complaints for doing so. Our managers team let them know that he had a right to his religion and we wouldn't tell him he had to put his Bible away on break. He was a stocker and did not work with the public and had not received any complaints from the public. Most the employee's could care less about the man's religious beliefs, anyway. One of the store managers was a athiest. He still stood up for this man's rights even in the work place.

However, this man eventually quit the job when we hired a young man that mocked him with "Hail Satan" when he read his verses aloud. When he complained to us, we told him that the young man had the same right to his religion as well. We couldn't allow him to practice his religion at work if we wouldn't allow another to do the same.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:34 PM

suanne is an unknown quantity at this point

Move as the Holy Spirit nudges you. God comes first. Leave the consequences to Him. It might mean losing the job - but that means you will be ministering some place else. Determine that no price is too high to pay for Christ.
What your preacher might be getting at is the one who goes around just doing his ministry in the flesh. You use your faith as an excuse not to do your job. That God would not approve. Honest day's work for honest day's pay. But a person's soul is more important; so you meet the need when you encounter it.
And there are many ways to minister at your job, like being honest, helping others, being meek, being gentle, being good, being patient, being forgiving, being merciful, etc. In other words, don't be a rat in the rat race. Let the rats have their politicing and slandering Stand out from them.