Welcome Guest Login or Signup
CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

Go Back   YCS > YCS Community > Edification > Deeper Fellowship

Deeper Fellowship A Christians-only fellowship area for deeper general Christian sharing.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM

suanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Book Recommendation

Has anybody read Max Lucado's Traveling Light? This is wonderful Christian book. What catches my attention is the "I'll Do It My Way" and "Get Over Yourself". I think being human we all struggle at times with insisting upon having our own way and thinking too much of ourselves. Hopefully we have matured that it is only an occassional struggle.

What do you think of this book? Do you have any books to recommend?

I do like Christian fiction, like This Present Darkness.

Summer is here and this is a time when I like to sit either inside where it is nice and cool or by the pool. Reading is relaxing. Summer is perfect time for this activity!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM
BobbyJ

I am not much into reading other than the Bible but have here infront of me
(Mature Christains Are Boring People) by Ron Luce just started it; it is a daily devotional and is so far really good right on the spot.

As good as your blogs are you should write your own book, or so if you havent already done so.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 PM
jarsnj

I dont like christian fiction. However, I read The Book of Enoch and it is excellent. It speaks of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, it tells of what will happen to the evil people in the end of days. It basically gives more detail to Genesis and the Book of Revelation (as it was in the days of Noah). Enoch was the 7th from Adam, he was Noah's Grandfather, and he was called the scribe of God. I highly recommend it for anyone seeking to affirm his/her faith.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/boe/

Last edited by jarsnj; 06-20-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 AM

suanne is an unknown quantity at this point

How about this one Jars: The Pilgrim's Progress? Although it is fiction, it does build up your faith in encouraging one to persevere. The Hiding Place is a good one if you don't like fiction because it is a true story; I'd say the focus is on extending unmeritted grace to others.
Any way. Anybody else got some favorite books? Reading should not take place of Bible. Still it is nice to refresh your mind and take a break!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM
jarsnj

Quote:
Originally Posted by suanne View Post
How about this one Jars: The Pilgrim's Progress? Although it is fiction, it does build up your faith in encouraging one to persevere. The Hiding Place is a good one if you don't like fiction because it is a true story; I'd say the focus is on extending unmeritted grace to others.
Any way. Anybody else got some favorite books? Reading should not take place of Bible. Still it is nice to refresh your mind and take a break!!!
I never read the Pilgrim's Progress but I think they made that into a DVD. I did see the Hiding Place and that story is "extremely" powerful with a very strong message! I highly recommend that one! I think, overall, that reading is very good, just pick your stuff wisely
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM
BobbyJ

Tommy Tenney's The God Chasers is pretty good to see your short comings and advance onward to higher ground. I had forgotton that one and spotted it while cleaning around a bit today.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:35 AM

PastorZomok is infamous around these parts

A library book I am reading is Christianity in Crisis: 21st Century, by Hank Hanegraaf. In this book (similar to his earlier one), Hank reveals the fraud and acts of many "prosperity" teachers and so-called faith healers. One does not have to agree with Hanegraaf on every issue to appreciate the basic thrust of this 400 page book. I recommend this book for reading if you can find it in your local library.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM

defender_of_truth is infamous around these parts

While in bible college we read "Hinds feet on high places" and "Mountain of spices" both were very good.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:49 PM
BobbyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender_of_truth View Post
While in bible college we read "Hinds feet on high places" and "Mountain of spices" both were very good.
I had forgot about Hinds feet on HIgh Places My Older sister a Reverend gave me that book years ago. It is and excelent read. And God blessed.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 AM
elliedunn1145

I love Max Lacado!! I've read many of his books......

I also enjoy Christian Fiction, that are written by Tim LeHaye, and Jerry Jinkins....I just read the Jesus Chronicles (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).....Though these Novels are fiction, they tend to spin their story around the books of the same name, from the Bible....They actually use verses, from NKJV, and at the back of the book, they will have Book from the NKJV, that the Novel is written about. You need to remember, though they sound like they are speaking the truth, they are Fiction.....